Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Christmas Greed

Well I didn’t keep up my posts in November but am going to try to from now on. I had my first really bad month in December since I started playing 19 months ago. I ended the month £550 down but at times during the month it was far worse. I finished 2nd in a couple of multi’s just before Christmas which saved me somewhat as my cash play had been truly awful. I would love to say it was all down to bad luck and a horrendous run but the truth is I was my own worse enemy.

I moved up the stakes to $1 $2. After months of grinding out profit I think I started to believe I was a better player than I actually am. I took on this higher level and tried to run over tables. I got a couple of nasty suck outs early on where big pairs got done by raggy cards and basically tilted. I panicked as my bankroll was vanishing much quicker than it had done on .50 $1 (because I was playing higher stakes but with the same roll). Suddenly any bad beat was magnified and I tilted far easier. ThenI found myself on $2 $5 NL chasing my losses. The hand where I hit rock bottom was when I was sat at the table with $580 and was dealt AK. There was a very loose player on my table so I rose to $25 and got callers. The flop came Kd 7d 5s, A good flop. The 1st player (a tighter player) bet $30, this looked like a feeler bet so I raised to $100. The loose player then rose to $200, the tight player folded. I was sure I was ahead as he was the type to flat call me with trips so went all in he called with 56d. The flush duly hit on the turn and I lost biggest pot of my cash game life. At this point I was playing so bad that I convinced my self this was very unlucky and the guy was a donk…. This put me $1.5k down for the month

I cam off and took 2 days off. When I analysed this hand I could see it wasn’t a bad play by him, he figured he had any diamond 5 or 6. Plus he was probably playing within his bankroll and could gamble, where as to me loosing a $1300 pot was huge on the back of a loosing few weeks. I was not playing great and was playing above my roll to cope with the swings I was getting.

I made a promise to myself that if I was to move up the stakes I would build my roll. For the last year I have basically been keeping the roll at the level to play .50 $1, anything I make above that I take as profit and bank. This has worked and I am going to stick to this for a while. If I ever have the urge to move up again I will no bank profit but build my roll to cope with it.

The problem in December was that I was putting 30% of my betfair account on a table at anyone time. This caused to much stress when the cards went against me. I don’t think I got a lot more suck outs than previous months but whenever I did I felt it more as it panicked me, where as in .50 $1 I would reload with the comfort of my roll and win it back over time from the numpties.

December taught me an important lesson; I got too greedy, believed I was better than I was and paid the price. It showed me the importance of bankroll management and the month taught me a good lesson

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home