Monday, November 13, 2006

Yum Yums

I’ve had a very good start to Nov playing my normal $.50 $1 NL. I am playing on the new betfair software, originally it received a lot of bad press but I don’t think its that bad. I’ve also found a very high number of fish compared to the traditional Crypto network. This may be because Betfair is attracting new players or just that on the old network the better quality of players were from Willhill or Interpoker. In any case I’m about $900 up for the month already without playing that great. I heard daniel negreanu describe Phil Helmuth as a 'Yum Yum' in high stakes poker (AKA players he loves to see at the cash table) and so far I have found 2 main type of players in the cash stakes I play.

1- Non aggressive Calling stations, those who will call anything right down to river, can be dangerous but if you keep giving them the wrong price to pay you will end up in profit even if they do hit occasionally. Even if they have a hand they don’t raise and let you catch cards which they then pay you off on by calling big bets at the end ;)

2- Mr Maniac aggressors, you need a hand as they play so aggressive and wont put down their hand but you can pick them off if you have patience.

These are two weak type of players, they can be difficult as you often need hands versus both but patience is the key, just playing ABC poker, sticking to the basics and you can catch them. I often try to spot these types early as you will play each slightly different.

For example versus Mr Maniac I know he will be aggressive on flop so although I often wait for decent starting hands I don’t need to hit the nuts on flop to play with him (if i do hit nuts I want to slow play as the more you call the more aggressive he gets). Example recently I have KQ and call his pre flop bet, hit q 7 2 flop, here he bets his normal $12 flop bet, I’m not slow playing here, I’m sure I’m ahead but its not a premium hand by any means (versus him its ahead 90% of the time where as against a normal rock you could be worried about aq, kk, aa or even trips) I don’t want mr maniac hitting 2 pair so here I would raise and take him on but i know I may be committing a lot of chipss he rarely gives in and folds, if I think I'm ahead I'm accepting I may get all my chips in on this hand. I cant wait for the nuts versus him as it'll cost me too many chips to wait and call pre flop. Against this guy you will get into big pots and occasionally he'll have a big hand or get lucky, this you have to accept as if you play him enough you'll come out on top by picking your best moments (top pair is often best, even 2nd pair will often be good)


Mr Caller is great as you can control the size of pots, when your drawing keep the pot low by betting into him and if you hit bet big he calls you off. If you have hit the flop bet enough to give any draw bad odds and watch him call his money off. Again he'll get lucky occasionally but as you control the pot you'll win over time. Lets take an example I had last week. I have AK and raise to $4 pre flop, he calls, flop is AK7 with two hearts, a good flop but very draw heavy. There is now $8 in pot, I can bet the pot here knowing he'll call with any pair or a draw and making sure hes not getting odds to hit a flush or straight. Turn and there is $24 in pot and 3spades hits, again I bet pot, he calls. River 9clubs, I’m only loosing to trips and I can make a good bet on the end which he calls with k 4, second pair awful kicker YUM YUM

The real big bonus is when you catch the hand versus both of them at once.
This happened last night when I had one of each Yum Yum on my table. I had 6 8s, not a great starting hand but I was in decent profit for the night and when Mr maniac raised to his normal $5 and Mr Caller called I decided to gamble and call to sit if I could catch a flop, its important to note both players had decent stacks, maniac ($100) caller ($70), me $95. I know if I catch a flop I could win a big pot, if both were short or medium stacks I may prefer to wait for bigger starting hands versus this type of play, as mr maniac will bet any flop and you cant bluff with mr caller in there as he calls. Anyway flop comes 4 5 7 with 2 spades, giving me nuts straight and a flush draw. Mr maniac bets his normal $12 flop bet (could have anything), mr caller calls as expected, I would raise with this versus just the my caller as i know he will call and i want max value, however i want mr maniac in there as I know he will bet turn whatever comes and I have such a strong hand (where as he may fold to a flop raise). Turn was a non threatening q, mr maniac bets $26, mr caller calls, Now I decide to raise and hope mr maniac has a piece rather than wait to the river to make my move (I'm not worried about them drawing as I'm sure I know I have best hand and also flush draw as back up but I need to raise sometime and found turn often best as if they do have a draw like a gutshot straight with a queen they will call here), I get both all in, maniac with qj, caller with k7. Lovely hand YUM YUM

I love these players, unfortunately I am known to tilt in the times when either of them get lucky versus me in big pots, rather than listen to my self as above and know I need them to hit occasionally to keep them playing. I'll cover tilting in a separate time. If you identify either type of player at your cash table hopefully you'll be thinking YUM YUM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home