Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Lazy Poker

The main point in this blog was to honestly analyse my own game and keep me focused on playing the best I can. Well I had a 2 hour session on $.50 $1 NL cash last night and played pretty bad for the first time in a couple of weeks. I tend to know within the first 5-10 mins if I’m going to play good poker. Last night I felt quite tired and I’ve found on these occasions my patience is much lower, my game loosens up and the poker I play generally slack. However I still haven’t mastered the discipline of walking away when I feel like this! Luckily I only lost about $90 as was playing two tables and managed to pick up a few hands on one table that played themselves and I was always going to win.

However on the second table, I definitely didn’t play my ‘A’ game. One hand in particular showed I was playing poor LAZY poker. I have KQ suited in position, a guy raises to $4 before the flop, I call this which may be questionable but I would make this call a lot of the time in NL cash as you can hit a nice flop with this sort of hand and judge where you are on the flop. I’m accepting that I’m most likely behind pre flop. Anyway flop comes K 6 2 (2 clubs). Decent flop for me but remember the guy had raised pre flop so could have a variety hands that has me beat, AK, AA, KK are all possible but I’m still feeling ok at this point. The guy bets $7 which looks to me like a continuation bet, however here I make my first big mistake and just call. Normally I would raise here, if he re-raises you then have more info and can decide to fold. Anyway turn comes 9. He now bets $20, again I just call. This is LAZY poker. I should have found out where I was on the flop, now at this point I have no idea and am calling like a blind fish hoping I am ahead rather than having any real knowledge to base this upon. The river pairs the board with a 2. This doesn’t worry me as he’s highly unlikely to be playing a 2. However I’m more worried about the real possibility of him holding AK, AA or QQ or maybe even trip 6’s. He bets $48 on river. Even though in my mind I’m 95% sure I am beat, I convince myself as I have just been calling, maybe he has me on a flush draw or a weak pair and he has a hand I can beat i.e. QQ, JJ, 10 10, AQ, KJ etc. I call and he shows the inevitable AA.

I know I played this bad, I even know this by the turn on the actual hand. I have found when I am tired my game sometimes develops this bad habit, LAZY poker, just calling all the way, not finding out where I was. When he bet $7 on flop I can put in a $10-$15 raise to find out if I’m beat. Rather than calling all the way to river. The way I played this hand is not my normal game and I need to cut these little lapses out. You can get lucky occasionally (like if a Q or K had hit on turn, river). You see that often with weak players but what you don’t realise is how much of their money they call away without hitting.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was curious if you ever thought of changing the structure of your site?
Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
But maybe you could a little more in the way
of content so people could connect with it better.
Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or two pictures.
Maybe you could space it out better?

Here is my web page: Candy Crush Saga Hack

8:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home